Thursday, February 17, 2011

Yarn, Ho!

One of my friends (hi, Mary Sue!) has an art place (originally a frame shop; now, so much more) downtown, and since there's no yarn shop here, I'm going to take over a wee portion of her shop and set up a little yarn corner.

I got the idea from one of my favorite hang-outs in Colorado: The Stone Cup. Just around the inside doorframe from the main counter is a three-tiered wire veggie hanger containing a few skeins of yarn and a handful of other knitting notions. Nothing big or fancy, but I get excited every time I visit and have to see if there's anything new I might need want.

That's what I want to create here ... a little spot of yarn-heaven where folks can find something that makes them smile. Whenever I hit a yarn shop (which is pretty much any time I'm near one -g-), I'll pick something up to add to the mix. Taking it a step further, I'd really love for this to evolve into a "yarn co-op" where I go yarn shopping for others .. and the "leftovers" go in the corner stash. :^)

My friend is hosting her first Art Party tonight, where she provides canvas, paint, brushes, etc, and her students provide enthusiasm and merriment and go home with a masterpiece. While we're all painting (hopefully mostly on the canvases), I'll also be pondering where to set up the yarn spot!

~ ~ ~

Okay, I have to share. Yesterday, I made not just my first wrist cuff but my first-ever bit of knitted lace! It's not as perfect as in the photos, but I did it! And I learned so much. Before, I had no idea what "k1 tbl" or "ssskp" meant, much less what they did to the yarn; now, I know, I've done, and I remember! I even learned how to "work 5 together", and let me tell you, that is an accomplishment.

Next time, it'll come out better ... and the correct size for my wrist. But this one is going in my Proud Firsts stash. :^D

Knit on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not moderated at this time. Please remember that we're all friends having fun out here. If you have a complaint about a blog post or a comment, please contact me directly at bfhknitting-at-gmail-dot-com. Thanks!